So, lately there has been an ongoing debate as to whether Joseph is “crawling.” For the last 3 weeks or so he has been moving all over the place at an ever increasing pace. He kind of scoots along on the ground in what a lot of people refer to as the “commando.” Basically it is crawling with his tummy on the floor. He does get into the traditional crawling position and rock back and forth but then he lowers down and takes of in his slither style of locomotion. Of course it has often been pointed out that he has a rather large tummy so it might be particularly hard for him to get it off the floor. He gets where he wants to go, and fast, so it certainly works. But is it crawling? Brad says yes, I have maintained that crawling is tummy off the floor. Either way he is moving and it is scary. Now begins the childproofing and chasing, chasing everywhere. Of course it is really cute too and fun to see him changing and developing so fast. I feel like we have hit the age where everyday he is doing something new. Before each little development seemed to build up over a long period, now they are just coming all the time, seemingly without warning or preparation. What will be next?
Other updates and new experiences:
- Twice he has pulled himself up to standing. The first time was in the middle of the night when I set him in the sitting position in his crib while I grabbed something (he still can’t get to sitting himself). I looked over and there he was in the upright position. However, I was so tired I didn’t think that much about it. Then, last Friday, I sat him down next to the bathtub while I was putting on my makeup. I lined up his rubber duckys on the edge of the tub so he could practice taking them down. I guess he knocked one into the tub because I glanced over and he was STANDING!! It just seems so weird to see him in the upright position. Very strange. He hasn’t done it again but if you put him in the standing position, say holding onto the sofa, he will happily stay there for quite awhile by himself. And he loves it (has for quite awhile) if you hold his hands and walk him around. This almost always makes him in a good mood (though for the person holding onto him it’s a bit hard on the back).
- He also loves to kick things. Hard. He tends to line himself up with his feet against a door, wall, etc. . . and then just wail away as hard as he can.
- His 5th tooth came in a couple days ago and the 6th is just about to come through! Yikes! The other 4 are now getting really big.
- The best “toys” are certainly not toys. All babies seem have a sense of when something is meant to be played with and when it is not and therefore oh soo much more fun.
- At his last appointment (around 8 months) he was 29 1/8 inches long, his head was huge (I forget the measurement), and he weighed 25 pounds, 10 ounces. Still completely off the charts.
- We are starting to work on eating pieces of things rather than just purees. And yes I have finally been making more of his baby food. Though he certainly preferred the store-bought stuff to moms cooking at first, he has adjusted. He is very into his food and if you don’t feed him fast enough he yells at you! He is also now no longer a vegetarian and on Sunday he had his first “cookie” (teething biscuit type thing) a la grandma.
- He has just started going to daycare one day a week which is so great for all of us. He absolutely loves the big kids and mom gets some freedom/time to actually get stuff done. I must admit however it did take me two hours to leave the first time—a bit embarrassing.
- I realize I never marked the sitting milestone on here (important since this is my “scrapbook”). He didn't start sitting well by himself until about 7 months. He might have been able to do it a bit sooner but I was scared to let him try because I was worried about him falling over. Now I know falling over is part of the learning process!
- He still hasn’t been on the outside as long as the inside (my tummy) though we are getting close.
- My best friend Jennifer is pregnant!! Besides being sooo happy for her and her wonderful husband Travis, I am selfishly ecstatic to have her as a mommy friend. It is amazing to get to go through this with my closest friend since preschool. From swing sets and play pretend, junk food and horses, cornfield parties and college, to being parents! Amazing.
- He is getting quite a mop top. A few people have mentioned I might need to get him a haircut soon. This was quite a surprise to me as I am still trying to figure out how to cut his nails. It never occurred to me that he might need his hair cut sometime. Anyways, I plan to let him get a nice full head of beautiful golden curls!
- We have a great baby group that meets every Wednesday morning. I really really enjoy it and Joseph seems to as well. Joseph is the youngest by a month and the mother of the next youngest (9 ½ months) and I come with questions in mind for the more experienced moms with older children!
- Is he screaming in the car? Turn on Loretta Lynn. Seriously. It works almost every time. Usually he contentedly nods off to sleep. I've had the same CD in my car since he was born and am scared to change it. Though a change would be nice for me . . .
Wow, this got long. So much going on I guess. If you made it to the end, congrats! I hope everyone is well!