Friday, February 29, 2008
Last week we decided to try and teach him to wave. One evening we worked on it and he caught on! We were delighted. He was so into it that he did it all the time. When he woke up in the middle of the night and I went in to him he was waving away. Now the trick has further improved. As of two days ago if you say "can you wave Joseph?" HE WAVES!!! This is so exciting to me. Our first real verbal communication (beyond me responding to his cries/screams). Still waiting on communication going the other direction. I predict his first word will be “Kitty.”
Sunday, February 24, 2008
- Kiss him! Kisses, kisses, kisses everywhere.
- Bring kitty near. Anything to do with Kitty is HILARIOUS. Chasing Kitty (or Kitty hunting) is probably his favorite activity (after eating).
- Demonstrate your best dance moves. Shake your booty!
- Then pick him up and dance together. Lots of bouncing and spinning appreciated.
- Give him something to climb on. Tired parents works well. As do stairs, boxes, pretty much anything. (A new trick this week is that he can climb up the entire set of stairs by himself!)
- Use a different accent or funny voice.
- Mke a silly face.
- Tickle, tickle, tickle.
- Dust. The swiffer duster is apparently very comical.
- Make silly noises. Beep, sneeze, hiccup . . .
- Smile at him.
- Find a mirror.
- Wave, put your hands in the air, clap . . .
- Find an exciting toy. Which usually means something that was certainly not intended to be a toy. Wooden spoon, papers, magazines, box, shoes, Tupperware, belt . . .
- As far as toys go balls are probably the favorite. I just got him a big huge yoga ball that he loves. He likes it if you throw balls or bean bags at him or drop them on his head. Sounds weird but he absolutely cracks up.
- Open a door and let him make a mad dash for it.
- The list goes on and on. It is amazing the crazy things you do to hear that giggle--and the totally unexpected things that get it going.
Thursday, February 14, 2008
I am sure I am missing a bunch of his other new tricks and I am also sure I sound like a complete gushing/obsessed-with-her-baby new mom. But, well, I guess I am.
Monday, February 11, 2008
So, let's see how my technical savvy is doing. I tried to upload two videos below. One is to document Joseph's special way of "crawling" (many have suggested I do so) and the other to show his new trick of standing! I know the second is going sideways, but it was cuter then the ones I took going the right direction. My tech savvy isn't good enough to figure out how to rotate it! Also, they are super short since they are just taken with my camera. Let me know if this works. All my best to everyone. (And yes, he is in his pajamas in the middle of the afternoon. Why not?)
Saturday, February 2, 2008
First big hike (during the January thaw)
Dad takes over
Crawling and climbing and getting into everything . . .