Thursday, December 2, 2010

J-O-S-E-P-H

Until very recently Joseph has not been very interested in letters and numbers, though he has friends that know all their letters and have been writing for a long time.  In the last month or so I noticed him taking more  interest in talking about letters, but he still would not try to write them.  He is a bit of a perfectionist and has always been intimidated by the task.  BUT, today we were at the library and the boy we were sitting next to (who is the same age as J) nicely wrote his name on his picture.  Joseph watched, and then calmly asked me, “how do I write my name?”  I told him what to do and this is what he came up with:

IMG_0037

I was shocked!  And excited. 

My philosophy has always been to just expose J to numbers, letters, and other early learning skills and let them develop as naturally as possible.  I think that at this age children’s real task is to PLAY.  They will spend plenty of time in school when older.  Using their imagination, getting outside, learning how fun books can be, playing with others, building loving relationships, and security are most important.  This is also the perspective of J’s “teacher.”  That being said, it was hard not to notice as others moved ahead in these preschool skills.  Comparing kiddos is mostly best avoided, but hard not to do.  Now, he still isn’t the most advanced, but it is fun to see him enjoy this new adventure. 

IMG_0042 - Copy

Here is some writing he did about half a year ago on a very rare occasion that he showed interest.  I think it is cute because the first letter he wrote was H for his bud Hadley.  He also had done “O” a couple times.  That is all until today.

  IMG_0019 IMG_0014 IMG_0013

Last night he wouldn’t stop doing his workbook and tonight it was writing.  He also didn’t know how to spell his name until all of a sudden today he will tell you J-O-S-E-P-H without hesitation.  Not sure what is going on, but this is all quite fun and exciting.  I love watching him concentrate and work so hard ;-) 

IMG_0035

Lastly, here is his letter to Santa, as dictated.  Don’t be specific or anything Joseph.  I tried to get him to come up with some other ideas (especially since for the last month or so he has been telling me everyday new things he wants for Christmas) but this was all I could get out of him today. 

1 comment:

JG said...

OMG it's so cute to see Joseph write his own name! That's funny how his interest in writing is just like a switch. Must feel amazing!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers