Saturday, January 2, 2010

start small, small steps, the small stuff

I am always making plans, resolutions, whatever you want to call them. Usually they are ambitious and don't last long. Since I always seem to be somewhat obsessively strategizing about how to better myself, New Year's Resolutions have not typically had much importance to me. Of course, I get swept up in the tide and am hoping to lose weight, stop procrastinating, figure out my life . . . among other lofty goals that will probably always come and go in my life. However, I came across this site today http://www.happiness-project.com/. I looked at it only quickly, but really responded to the idea of making one very simple, attainable, positive "resolution." So, I have decided to try and start doing something I always mean to, but forget. Every time I go grocery shopping I plan to buy one small thing to put in those collection bins at the exit--that I always guitlily pass--for the food shelf. I even hope to start talking to Joseph about this and involve him in picking out the goods. If I let him choose it will probably be mac n' cheese every time . . .

That's the plan.

Happy New Years all! Any resolutions to share?

3 comments:

Michele @ make/do said...

I liked reading this. I don't usually make New Year's resolutions, but I have always tried to tithe 10% to charity. It gets harder to do that psychologically as my income gets larger.

JG said...

OMG the food bank idea is such a good idea! I'm going to copy you. I don't do the resolution thing anymore, but I am trying to "give back" as much as possible...I'm going to copy you on the food bank thing, AND look into volunteering at our homeless shelter down the road. Thanks for the inspiration!
Oh, and I resolve to not speak to you until you get that kissing photo to me! Haha

Ruth said...

Michele--you have always amazed me with your generosity. You are the only person I know who tithes (or however you say that). I hope to learn from you. The funny thing about this is I wrote this on Saturday and went grocery shopping on Monday and FORGOT. I am very bad. I guess it will take a while to get into the habit of it . . .

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers